This post was inspired by the Super Bowl of all things. From the Baltimore Ravens and Purple Fridays to me Google-ing the all-time best halftime performances – let’s face it Beyonce rocked it, but Prince “purple rained” on everyone’s ass – the color purple seemed to be everywhere. However, it’s the one color that every time I see it makes me a bit nostalgic. It reminds me of my aunt. She would have turned 57 today, but she passed almost fourteen years ago to breast cancer. I don’t think I can remember a time when I didn’t see her with at least some speckle of purple on her whether it was a purple sweat suit with white Keds, or a simple ribbon tied in her hair she embodied the color to the fullest. This post is not meant to be a somber one, but one of reflection and something I just simply felt compelled to write.
Hope you enjoy some cool facts I found about the color purple and join me in wishing my aunt a Happy Birthday!
- It’s therapeutic – the color purple uplifts, calms the mind and nerves, offers a sense of spirituality, and encourages creativity
- It’s royal – from Roman Emperors Julius and Augustus Caesar decreeing it as “their” color, to the purple velvet-cloaked Canadian Whiskey Crown Royal
- It’s heroic and political – the Purple Heart is a military award for bravery and a state with an equal distribution of republicans and democrats is called a “purple” state.
- It’s musical – Prince’s Purple Rain album and movie– can we say LEGENDARY?! Or what about Jimmie Hendrix’s “Purple Haze”?
- It’s theatrical – the movie The Color Purple is an all-time favorite in my family!
- It’s athletic – purple is a primary color of the Los Angeles Lakers and Colorado Rockies.
- It smells good – the scent of lavender is said to be stress reducing.
- It’s religious – in Egypt, it denotes virtue and faith. In Christianity, it symbolizes pride.
- It’s wealthy – in Japan, it signifies wealth and position.
- It’s intergalactic – Jupiter is sometimes referred to as the “Purple Planet” and apparently there’s a sweet potato called the “Purple Orchid Three” that’s grown from seeds taken into space in 2005 on China’s “Shenzhou VI” rocket.
Finally, it’s quotable – “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.” — Alice Walker
I agree Alice!